The summer really flew by this year, and the Committee was hard at work on a number of business items in support of our students. Here are some quick highlights from June, July, and August:
* Voted on the administration of PARCC
* Approved the job description for the Director of Fine and Performing Arts
* Listened as all School Improvement Plans were presented
* Voted to add one secondary school psychologist
* Approved lump-sum raises for non-union personnel
* Continued employment of our outside legal counsel, Hollender & Carey
* Voted to eliminate class rank beginning with the Class of 2016
* Performed the Superintendent's evaluation
* Approved the School Committee action items (associated with our goals)
* Voted to increase Supt. Taymore's salary (based on performance and in accordance with previously agreed salary grid)
* Reviewed the DPW's summer work in the schools
* Voted to extend Supt. Taymore's contract to 2018 and voted on her 2015 goals
* Reviewed the educator evaluation report from the Dept. of Elem. and Sec. Ed.
Remember that all documents attached to the items above, as well as for the other items we discussed at our meetings, can be found at melroseschools.com, School Committee, IQM2. We also officially changed e-mail addresses this summer, so please contact us using our new city addresses (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). Due to today's elections, we'll meet again on September 23rd. Looking forward to a great fall!
Margaret Raymond Driscoll is a nine-year Melrose School Committee member who is passionate about excellent teaching and learning for all public school students, and considers it a privilege to collaborate with others who share that passion. You can also follow her on Twitter at @MargaretDrisc. Just to be clear - opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Melrose Public Schools, the Melrose School Committee, or the Massachusetts Association of School Business Officials - they are hers alone.